CPS Energy walk-in center hours have been temporarily modified to 10:30 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday- Friday until further notice.  We provide a variety of options to pay your bill - visit our Ways to Pay.

Winter Safety

Practice safety when temperatures drop

When winter temperatures drop, keep these tips in mind to keep you and your family safe.

  • Install working smoke alarms in every bedroom, outside each sleeping area, and on every level
  • Install carbon monoxide alarms in a central location outside sleeping areas
  • Test smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors monthly
  • Replace batteries in smoke alarms yearly on a routine schedule whether needed or not
  • Never use the kitchen stove/oven as a space heater
  • Have your central heating system inspected annually by a licensed professional
  • Keep a dry chemical fire extinguisher in the kitchen
  • Check your natural gas appliances - a yellow or orange flame may indicate a problem and should be checked by a qualified technician
  • Keep flammable liquids and spray cans at least three feet from heating equipment
  • Turn off portable space heaters every time you leave the room and before you go to bed
  • Never place anything on top of a space heater
  • Purchase heaters with a tip switch, which turns the heater off if it is knocked over
  • When using a gas space heater, leave a window open a couple of inches for proper ventilation

What to do if your power is out:

  • Keep a flashlight and a battery-powered radio nearby
  • Report outages to (210) 353-4357 (HELP) or call toll-free at 1-800 870-1006 in rural areas; if you have a smart meter, there's no need to call because the meter will alert us about the outage
  • View our Power Outage page for more information related to outages in your area

What to do if you have a natural gas leak:

  • If you or your family smell something similar to rotten eggs, you could have a natural gas leak
  • Do not use any electrical or battery-powered item, do not switch lights on or off, do not light a match, or use a cell phone - any of these items could send a spark igniting the gas
  • Leave your home immediately
  • Call 911 and CPS Energy at (210) 353-4357 (HELP)